Frequently Asked Questions
About the Membership Fee
Fee Waiver Questions
What is the National Society of High School Scholars?
NSHSS is an honor society that recognizes top academic achievers from high schools around the world. Its mission is to recognize academic excellence among high school students and to encourage members to apply their unique talents, vision, and potential for the betterment of themselves and the world. NSHSS is an organization established to connect young scholars with each other and to provide additional resources to help them succeed in scholarship, leadership, and service. Members of NSHSS enjoy attending Society events held at colleges and universities, receiving our monthly publications with valuable resources about college & program opportunities, and applying for scholarships.
Why is Mr. Nobel involved in The National Society of High School Scholars?
Mr. Nobel helped found NSHSS to continue his family's legacy of recognizing and rewarding contributions to world betterment. He believes the world leaders of tomorrow will emerge from today's youth, and NSHSS can be a powerful tool for advocacy and support of these young leaders. As the chair of the advisory board, Mr. Nobel is personally involved in many of the Society's initiatives. He attends member events, is involved with all scholarships, and provides input on the strategic direction of the organization.
How is NSHSS unique?
NSHSS is not a simple recognition program or vanity press. There is no listing of students published or book to buy. As an active membership association of high-achieving students, NSHSS provides more than just recognition. Through its objective membership process, NSHSS brings the best students together in a dynamic international organization. Unique participatory activities include academic competitions, free national events for members and their families, networking, and volunteer activities. NSHSS is inclusive and committed to recognizing all eligible high-achieving students.
Can we come visit NSHSS Headquarters?
We would love to meet you! So if you're in the area, please stop by!
Here's our address:
1936 North Druid Hills Road
Atlanta, GA 30319
↑ Return to Top
What is the criteria for membership?
NSHSS works directly with educators and educational organizations to identify students who may qualify. Students who we believe are qualified may be selected to receive an invitation.
Members must be a student in high school and must meet ANY ONE of the criteria below:
- • 1750 SAT score or higher
- • 200 PSAT score or higher
- • 26 ACT score or higher
- • Score 4 or higher on any AP exam
- • Score 5 or higher on any IB exam
- • 3.5 Cumulative GPA (4.0 Scale) or higher (or equivalent GPA)
- • Top 10% rank in class
NOTE: receiving an invitation may not verify meeting this criteria
How do I become a member?
Qualified students may receive an invitation letter from the Society or directly from a nominator at their school. You must be selected for membership in order to join The National Society of High School Scholars.
How can I become selected for membership in NSHSS?
If you have not received an invitation, but feel that you qualify, you can have an educator nominate you for membership. You may contact us, and we will provide you with a nomination form for your teacher.
What do I get once I become a member?
As a new member you will receive a membership kit in 4-6 weeks after accepting your invitation. The kit contains:
- • Your membership certificate
- • Your Membership ID card
- • A welcome letter from NSHSS founder Mr. Claes Nobel complete with your membership ID number
- • A press release that announces your membership in the Society
- • Information about your benefits and how you can apply for scholarships
- • Information from NSHSS partners and programs
- • Bumper sticker, window decal and other NSHSS items
I’m a new member, how can I become more involved with NSHSS?
Using your membership ID number and/or the www.nshss.org website you can:
- • Put your press release in the local newspaper to announce your membership to the world
- • Come to an event or college fair.
- • Write an article for the NSHSS Scholars Journal
- • Become an NSHSS Ambassador to tell others at your school about the Society
- • Join the NSHSS Facebook page or follow us on Twitter to get up-to-the-minute information about the Society
- • Explore the discounts, scholarships, and other privileges offered by NSHSS partners
↑ Return to Top
I’ve moved or there is a problem with my invitation or items in my membership kit. How can I get this updated or fixed?
To update your account simply log in to the Member Dashboard of the website and click "My Profile." Alternatively you can call the NSHSS headquarters at 1-866-343-1800 or 404-235-5500 to make updates to your account.
I can’t find my confirmation code; how can I locate it?
Your personal confirmation code is printed on your confirmation card and on the bottom right corner of your invitation letter. If you do not have your invitation letter or confirmation card you can call the NSHSS headquarters at 1-866-343-1800 or 404-235-5500 and one of the NSHSS team members will assist you.
I'm a teacher or counselor, how do I nominate students?
Teachers and counselors can download the Student Nomination Form to nominate students.
↑ Return to Top
I’ve moved! How can I get this updated or fixed?
To update your account simply log in to the Member Dashboard of the website and click "My Profile." Alternatively you can call the NSHSS headquarters at 866-343-1800 or 404-235-5500 to make updates to your account.
↑ Return to Top
ABOUT THE MEMBERSHIP FEE
How much does NSHSS cost?
NSHSS has a one time membership fee of $60. The fee is due on or before the deadline date printed on your membership confirmation card and invitation letter. If it is after the printed deadline there may be an additional late fee required. Checks or money orders can be made payable to: NSHSS or The National Society of High School Scholars.
Why is there a membership fee?
Like most membership organizations, a fee is charged to help cover the organizational costs of fulfilling the mission of the Society. It is truly an honor to be invited and receive a congratulatory letter from Mr. Nobel. There are no annual dues or renewals, ever. Member benefits include:
- • Exclusive scholarship opportunities and academic competitions
- • Publications and member-only web content
- • Free national events for members and their families
- • Dedicated member-services staff and volunteers to assist students
- • Member communications including monthly e-newsletter
- • Service and leadership opportunities
- • Unique outreach from top domestic & international universities
- • Unique offerings through our partnerships
- • Personalized membership certificate
- • Personalized press release for distribution to local media
- • Peer networking
↑ Return to Top
FEE WAIVER QUESTIONS
What if I can't afford the membership fee?
It is our commitment that the membership fee and its payment never stands in the way of a qualified student becoming a member. We offer partial and full fee waivers for qualified applicants. An application is required in order to be considered for a fee waiver. Learn more.
How do I apply for a fee waiver?
Since the membership fees provide for the services of all members, we do request that you carefully and honestly assess your abilities to pay the fee and request a full or partial fee waiver only when necessary. We offer partial and full fee waivers for qualified applicants. An application is required in order to be considered for a fee waiver. Fee waivers cannot be processed over the phone or online. Learn more.
I applied for a fee waiver. When will I find out if it was accepted?
All fee waivers are processed just after the deadlines. If your fee waiver is approved, your member kit will be mailed to you within 45 days of your printed deadline. If you provide an email address on your confirmation card a welcome email will be sent to that address at the time that your membership is processed. You must complete all items on the fee waiver checklist in order to be considered for the fee waiver. If your fee waiver request is denied, you will receive a letter of explanation within that same time frame. Please wait at least 30 days past your printed deadline before calling or e-mailing the Member Services Staff for a status. The fee waivers are still in the process of being reviewed by the committee and will not be available to the Member Services Staff until approximately 45 days after the deadline.
↑ Return to Top
How do I use the membership card I received in the member kit?
The purpose of the membership card located in the member kit is to record your NSHSS member identification number. Upon receipt of your member kit, write your member identification number on the white strip located on the back of the membership card. You will need your member identification number when applying for scholarships.
How do I use the press release I received in the member kit?
The press release is provided for you to distribute to various news and media organizations in your area. Following these guidelines will help increase the likelihood of publication:
- Attach your photo and biographical information, including honors and awards.
- Provide your contact information so the newspaper or media outlet may easily reach you or your family if they have additional questions.
- Reproduce multiple copies of the release so that it may be sent to newspapers, radio, television stations, and other local sources.
- Send a copy of the release to your high school newspaper, parents' company newsletter, and other organizations of which you are a member.
- Address each to the "Community News Editor."
Why do I not receive emails from the Society?
In order to receive our email messages at AOL, Earthlink, and others, or if you are using a spam filter, please add email@example.com to your accepted or safe email senders list or address book. Failure to do so may prevent you from receiving email resources from us.
Who are the NSHSS official partners?
Current NSHSS partners are listed on the NSHSS partnership page.
Where is the contact information for the Society?
You can always call the headquarters at 1-866-343-1800 or 404-235-5500 or send us a message.
↑ Return to Top