2020-2021 Academic Year Applications are Closed
Eligibility: 18 and older high school grads not yet enrolled in college
Scholarship Award: One $5,000 merit-based for fall/spring, $1,000 for all other applicants. One $3,500 for summer, $500 for all other applicants.
NSHSS partner CET Academic Programs is a study abroad organization, headquartered in Washington, D.C., that has been developing and delivering innovative educational programs abroad since 1982. CET offers a varied portfolio of semester, summer, and short-term customized programs around the world for college, high school, pre-college, and gap year students.
Please note there are two different scholarship opportunities: One $5,000 merit-based scholarship is awarded to one CET Gap applicant each fall and spring. All other fall or spring scholarship applicants receive a $1,000 award. One $3,500 scholarship is awarded to one gap applicant each summer. All other summer gap scholarship applicants receive a $500 award.
CET offers Summer and Fall programs for 2020 to the following four locations:
- Beijing, China
- A 9 week summer program and a 16 week fall/spring program, providing 20 hrs/week intensive language courses with one-on-one sessions, with full-time immersion and living with a local roommate
- Siena, Italy
- An intensive program focusing on Italian language classes lasting 15 weeks, covering a year's worth of classes within one semester, a 4 day traveling seminar to Sicily, and immersive living with a host family
- Osaka, Japan
- A program featuring smaller class sizes lasting 17 weeks in the fall and 18 weeks in the spring, offering one year's worth of Japanese in a semester, immersing yourself within the community, and the opportunity to live with a Japanese student
- Amman, Jordan
- An immersive Arabic language program with courses lasting 8 weeks in the summer and 15 weeks in the fall/spring, featuring volunteer opportunities, living with a Jordanian student, and the opportunity to cover at least one year’s worth of college-level Arabic material.
- Be an NSHSS member
- Must be 18 or older at the time of program participation
- Should have a high school diploma but are not yet enrolled at a college or university degree program
- Are recommended to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Admissions decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, so students with lower GPAs are still encouraged to apply.
- Educator Recommendation
- Phone Interview