This award is a $5,000 college scholarships for high school seniors and college freshmen who have a minimum GPA of 3.5 and who have demonstrated in an outstanding manner the values of NSHSS Co-founder and President James W. Lewis. College students must be enrolled in an accredited university. Scholarship funds will be sent to the university where the recipients are enrolled or will enroll upon entering college.
The James W. Lewis Leadership Award has been established to encourage and recognize young leaders who exemplify the values to which Mr. Lewis has dedicated his life and work:
• Commitment to diversity and inclusion
• Commitment to helping create educational opportunities for all, including young people identifying with under-represented groups
• Commitment to encouraging leadership among youth
• Commitment to community engagement and volunteerism
• Commitment to global perspective
• Commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship
In 2002, Mr. Lewis co-founded NSHSS with Claes Nobel, of the family that established the Nobel Prizes, to acknowledge and nurture the continuing success of high school and college students who have distinguished themselves through academic accomplishment, exemplary leadership and community involvement.
Mr. Lewis’s complete bio can be found on the NSHSS website.
Overriding philosophy: "The future of our planet is dependent upon how we prepare the youth of the world. Let them dream, explore and achieve not only for the betterment of themselves, but for the global community."
• Educator recommendation
• Color head shot suitable for website posting;
• Personal statement of 1,000 words in response to the following: Describe how you have demonstrated and are continuing to exemplify the leadership values of Mr. Lewis.
• Finalists will be asked to submit a video of no more than 4 minutes introducing yourself and highlighting your suitability for this scholarship. *Do not submit the video with your application.
Open Date: January 2, 2020
Deadline: May 15, 2020
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.