Eligibility Requirements: High school seniors and college freshmen who have a minimum GPA of 3.5 and who have demonstrated in an outstanding manner the values of NSHSS Co-founder Mr. Nobel. College freshmen must be enrolled in an accredited university. Scholarship funds will be sent to the university where the recipients are enrolled or will enroll upon entering college.
Scholarship Award: Two USD $5,000 scholarships. One scholarship for a high school senior and one scholarship for a college freshman.
The Claes Nobel Legacy Award was established by Greg Goff, executive Vice President of Marathon Petroleum Company, in honor of Claes Nobel, senior member of the family that established the Nobel Prizes, to highlight his family legacy of rewarding excellence. Mr. Nobel has dedicated his life and work to the values that he holds dear: preserving the earth, promoting peace, and changing the world for the better. In 2002, he co-founded NSHSS with James W. Lewis to acknowledge and nurture the continuing success of high school and college students who have distinguished themselves through academic accomplishment, exemplary leadership and community involvement.
Mr. Nobel encourages all people to prescribe to “The Seven Rights,” a powerful remedy for Universal Peace, Environmental Sustainability, and Personal Happiness. “The Seven Rights” include:
1. Right Thought Your mind is a dynamic organ. Everything in the universe and in the world – yes, even you originated in thought.
2. Right Word Words are incredibly powerful. Once a word leaves your mouth, not even the strength of 10,000 elephants can pull it back again.
3. Right Deed Let Dignity, Honor, and Truth be the noble hallmarks of your character.
4. Right Attitude Smile and laugh. Be kind, positive, and helpful to all. Become a good listener. 5.
5. Right Livelihood Step lightly on the Earth--leave no foot-prints.
6. Right Here You do not have to go to the far corners of the world. Start world transformation in your own community. Start right in your own backyard.
7. Right Now No procrastination! No excuses! Become a very busy, active person for World Betterment and World Change.
• Educator or Program Leader Recommendation
• Color headshot suitable for website posting
• Personal statement of 500 words in response to the following passage: Mr. Nobel promotes “The Seven Rights” as a prescription for living a productive life and contributing to the betterment of society. Those include right thought, right word, right deed, right attitude and right livelihood, and conclude with right here and right now. “Ladies and gentleman, to have a future or not – that is our choice,” Nobel said. “… Together we can change the world.” Explain how you have contributed and are contributing to the betterment of the world through one or more of Mr. Nobel’s “The Seven Rights.”
Open Date: March 1, 2020
Closing Date: May 1, 2020